Saturday, July 25, 2009

Unfinished Business



Six years ago when I left the Blue Mountains (a city within a world heritage national park, less than 100kms from Sydney, Australia), I felt as though I was leaving some unfinished business. Having spent many years slowly renovating a hopeless old shack on a gorgeous plot of land had taught me many of the skills I now have under my belt but at that stage I did not have the resources to get stuck into the type of project I really wanted.

Recently, whilst perusing the Blue Mountains real estate guide, the opportunity I had been looking for presented itself. A 4 bedroom house, made of fibro and iron, was coming up for auction. The old place, built in the 1890’s is older than most of the Katoomba township. The place is totally un-renovated and run down. Possibly the worst house on one of the best streets in town, however after one viewing I could see all the potential to turn the old place into one of the best homes on the street.

First the nerve racking auction (obviously I was not the only person to see the potential) then 6 weeks of waiting for settlement had certainly brewed up a fair few ideas of what can be done.

No comments: